Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A Basic Level of Self-Awareness

I'm more irritable than usual lately. I know what you're thinking....and, yes, I am pretty much always irritable so it can be hard to detect when that level has increased. It usually comes and goes though. It's been sitting pretty steady at a fairly high level for days now. Of course there are the usual levels of incompetence surrounding me.

Which makes me question...why are people so stupid?? Seriously, how do these stupid, small, narrow-minded, little people lead their day-to-day lives? How are enormous roadblocks not thrown up in front of them all the time due simply to their own stupidness? And, furthermore, how do people who can barely see past the ends of their own noses claim to be capable of hearing differing opinions and evaluating them reasonably.

I mean, oh my god, how does so much of the human population lack even a basic level of self-awareness!?!?!?! How can you continue to exist in the world, how do you function in everyday life, how do you not get punched in the face daily when you are so self-absorbed???!!!

These, are just some of the question I have about the world I live in. Excuse me, I think I need to go work on my yawp.

6 comments:

Meg said...

Blame Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs. The little peoples are far too wrapped up in satisfying the basic human needs, that they just haven't reached the self-actualization level yet.

That, or they're fricking stupid.

Meg said...

That's right, I said "fricking". You can take the girl out of the downhome, but you can't take the downhome out of the girl. Believe me. I've tried.

Kevin said...

"People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it.... Although their test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd."
(emphasis mine)

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments, Kruger, J. and Dunning, D. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1999.

I can't believe I just registered an account to quote an applied psych research paper in your blog. I hope you're happy.

In essence, the stupider you get, the more likely you are to be too stupid to realize how stupid you are.

Lady Rose said...

well, you could have just left the comment without registering you know.

Matthew said...

Listen, stupidity is all relative to what your measure is. We here in North America are considered stupid because we hold sports and pop culture knowledge higher then historical or political know how. Fact of the matter is that people are good at what they choose to be good at. Now of course there are some exceptions to this rule, like if your born with a handy cap, like down syndrome. However, no one thinks they are stupid because we all have are own interest that we are good at. My interest may however differ from your so if you were to talk politics with me but my interest is in sports we are not going to get very far. I would consider you boring and you consider me dumb, see it is all relative

Lady Rose said...

Well Matthew. I tend to disagree. I think there is a base level that exists that we can measure stupidity against. Your point has only supported my arguement really. North Americans are stupid for valuing pop culture over history.

Balance is key people! You should be able to understand both sides of a thing. BOTH sides. Which side you go with is your own choice of course but you should be able to support that position. Logically. Rationally. With facts. And illustrated examples and charts if you have them on hand.