Thursday, September 21, 2006

10 Days...

Last night I saw the best piece of theatre I can hope to see all season. If you want to see a show that will produce a genuine laugh and then turn around and rip your heart out, I highly recommend 10 Days on Earth. Of course, there's all this Burkett-hype...if you're even slightly plugged into the scene you will have heard the hype...and they hype, she is so rarely a good thing.

I will admit that the thought of a 2 hour long show with no intermission was a bit off-putting...and it doesn't help that it just screams diva. I figured the hype was going to come crashing down at about the 90 minute mark when I found myself uncomfortable, bored, and needing to pee. I did find myself needing to pee (damn my tiny bladder) but this show, this man is so utterly captivating that I could have probably sat through it again twice without getting up.

If I could go see this show every night it was running I would. I wish I could burn every moment into my brain. The most tragic thing about this show (and all his other shows) is that they can never be reproduced, ever. Only he can do these shows so when he's done with them, that's it...they're over.

So run people, don't walk, down to ATP to see the most genuine piece of theatre I have seen in years. And take lots of tissues...if you aren't crying by the midpoint it likely means you have no soul. My heart still hurts.

4 comments:

RostockRose said...

Happy Birthday!

Meg said...

Oh, hello there, Jazz...

Meg said...

Yay for going again- Ronnie Burkett rocks my socks.

Andrasta said...

Jazz is good for robots...