Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Good Movie Cry

Last night I watched the first movie to make me cry in 2007. Not bad considering we're only 10 days in. And it wasn't one or two tears either, this was a major cry.

I love a good movie cry. You know how you get that feeling building up inside, nothing is wrong or bothering you but you just need to cry. I can never start those things spontaneously so I always need a good movie to spark it.

I'm not sure if this one was building up or if I was just so affected by this movie. Now when I tell you what the movie was, you won't understand. A virtual silence will follow as you try to comprehend what I've just communicated.

Let me preface this by saying that I didn't even want to rent this movie. I was picking out some 7-day releases and needed to fill out a 6-pack. Frankly, Mr. Rose had to pressure me pretty hard to rent it and even then it was accompanied by much sighing and eye-rolling on my part.

I didn't even plan to watch it in one sitting, ridiculous 3-hour long epics. We watched the first half in little half hour bursts over a couple days. But then....I was enthralled. I started crying at the midway point and couldn't stop until it was over (stop watching that is, I stopped crying many times...the giant bug scene didn't prompt many tears).

Ready?

The movie was King Kong.

...

...

...

I know! I'm just as surprised as you are. I cried for like 15 mintues after it finished too, and I knew how it ended! When I woke up the next morning my eyes were all tired and sore and worn out from all the crying. A giant ape did me in.

But it's just so tragic. And so true to what I believe. Human beings are terrible, terrible creatures. Selfish, greedy, so far out of tune with nature and so far out of touch with the world we inhabit that it's a wonder we've survived. Oh Kong, the last of your kind...and to die such an ignominious death. Oh Peter Jackson, if I loved you for Lord of the Rings I've moved up to some other level of vague unattractive-celebrity love for King Kong.

*sniffle*

King Kong. Rent it immediately and report back. Was is just a desperate need to cry or is this supposed "dude" monster movie really a hidden weeping gem?

1 comment:

Meg said...

I still can't believe that a giant monkey made you cry. I'm skeptical at best, but I'll watch it...