Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Unfinished Projects

Is it possible to change? I mean really change. If you decide you don't like where you are at or where you are going can you make the necessary adjustments to alter things. And what happens if you know that you want change but you don't know what that change should be or how to achieve it?

I watched this ridiculous home decorating show this afternoon about minimalist design. The host was a complete idiot who didn't seem to actually understand what minimilism was about. Whenever I think about my taste in interior design I always assumed that my problem was a lack of funds. I mean how can you really do interior design if you can't afford to buy what you want?

But I was thinking about window treatments and it struck me that even if you gave me a stack o' cash I would have no idea how to design window treatments that accented my sofa and really made my natural lighting pop. I would be one of those people with money but no taste. I think I would have to hire someone to do my interior design.

And that's sad. I always thought I was one of those people who could do interior design. But looking around my living room I see that is not, in fact, the case.

My life is filled with so many unfinished projects. Things I "don't have time for anymore". Things I start and then drop halfway through. I do things half-assed all the time, which is odd because I prefer a full, rounded ass.

For some reason I just can't commit.

Am I a minimilist? A cynic? An optimist? A pessimist? Who knows, I can't commit to any one.

The "back to work" blues strike hard and swift, and apparently emerge as a design crisis.

1 comment:

Meg said...

But are the things you leave unfinished really that important? Would not starting them at all make your life easier?

I know we're apparently adults, and adults have nicely decorated houses, and lawns that are fertilized and mowed regularly, and mad crafting skillz, but sometimes, you need to seperate the wheat from the chaff and do what enriches your life most.

That's me being preachy and selfish. Happy first day back, you evil person who got yesterday off.