Thursday, March 01, 2007

A Terrible Networker

I'm a terrible networker. Of course I have always known this to be the case but I am always somehow hoping that secretly, magically I will have morphed into a wonderful networker overnight.

This never happens of course. Instead I find myself adrift and awkward at any number of events. I cling, cling desperately to any familiar face...or in this case, Megan. I have nothing to say to these people. After introductions where do I go? And why are they not armed with dozens of dazzling conversation topics?

My worst moment was attempting to converse with some lady from a PR firm. Once we'd covered who we all were a dead and emtpy silence descended upon the "conversation". I must say, the 'Nude wasn't a lot of help either. I expect more pizazz and sparkle from my younger collegues, flash your boobs, troll for job prospects, anything!! 2 mintues of bad "conversation" and awkward silence later I nearly died of relief when she left to get a bevvy.

I think I need a new industry or profession.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you are in league with the butcher...

Meg said...

sorry. I wasn't in the mood to network- rather, to escape the tyranny and clutches of one individual you know I can't name.

Where are those pictures of deliciousness?

Lady Rose said...

ah yes, the tyranny of your "maiden aunt". I wonder if we could somehow get our maiden aunts together so that they would get off our freaking backs and try to befriend each other rather than us.

Meg said...

that is the best freaking idea I've ever heard, ever.

My maiden aunt and your maiden aunt would just talk over each other about themselves and everything would be so tickety-boo!

Lady Rose said...

Does your maiden aunt also like to martyr herself? My maiden aunt loves to regale us with tales of her sacrifices for the greater good.

Meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg said...

Oh yes. My maiden aunt also likes to dish stories of her prowess with and/or why the opposite sex is stupid and deserves to live a lesser existence.