Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Best of 2007

All told I read 53 books in 2007. I thought I read about one book every two weeks. This may explain why I really don’t remember the details of a lot of books I read. Unless it’s truly outstanding of course. Or it means that I read a lot of crap. Alright, it’s obvious that I read a lot of crap. And those Harry Potter’s really helped to up my count. Fast reads.

Megan and I started a book club this year so in an attempt to be more thoughtful about my reading here is my highlights reel.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – come on! The final book in a seven-part series, of course it makes my list. A very satisfying ending but I could have done without the sappy epilogue.

Freakonomics – this is my kind of non-fiction. The subject matter is interesting and writing was entertaining.

Watership Down – action, adventure, animals with human intelligence…it just doesn’t get any better. I haven’t been able to look at rabbits the same since.

One Hundred Years of Solitude – because I finished it dammit. Actually by about halfway through I was pretty into it. He has a very distinctive voice. Maybe that’s all you really need to win prestigious writing awards…a distinctive voice.

Philippa Gregory Historical Fiction Smut – historical fiction is my favorite kind of smut and she serves it up good.

American Gods – obviously. This was a re-read for me and my choice for book club. It’s still one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s weird and creepy and engaging. Neil Gaiman at his best.

And what would a highlights reel be without a lowlights reel to accompany it.

I’m With Cupid – badly written chick lit. It’s not a difficult formula people! I don’t ask for brilliance from my crappy chick lit but seriously? No good.

The Castle – after many years I finally made it all the way through and when I finished I thought to myself “that’s it?” I mean, what’s the point? It’s an unfinished novel…and it’s really unfinished…edited heavily by some dude who isn’t Kafka. Blech.

Eastern Standard Tribe – this book goes down in my bad books even though I liked most of it. The ending was so terrible that it wrecked the rest of the book for me.

No comments: