Saturday, August 02, 2008

You Think You Know Someone

So at book club this week while discussing the immortal genius that is Dave Eggers we sidelined into a disucssion about how well you really know people. Kathleen held the position (to which most agreed) that perhaps you never really know another person. I agreed at the time but was musing over this statement later. And ultimately I decided that it was untrue. Because, I decided, I know my spouse.

And not just in the biblical sense. zing!

But seriously. I know what he likes/doesn't like. I can predict how he'll react to stimulus (and not just in the biblical sense!). I can tell when his mood shifts. I know the activities most likely to draw him out of a funk or draw him deeper into a funk when he really just wants to funk. (and not just...no? I thought the third time might be the charm. ok then.)

Dreams, desires, goals, ambitions, irritants, preferences. Past, present, future. I know this man.

And then he told me he didn't like the song Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison.

So I guess you're right after all Kathleen. You can never really know someone else.

3 comments:

Lady Rose said...

Seriously? Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison?!!?

Who doesn't like that song!?!?!

Meg said...

What?! Everyone likes that song! EVERYONE!

Sha-la-la, la-la, la-la, la-la-la-la-ti-da. La-ti-da.

I do have to agree with Kathleen. And sometimes I wonder if I really even know myself.

Kathleen said...

Wow... I would one day like to know someone that well. Sometimes I can't even predict what will put me in a funk...