Friday, December 12, 2008

Cell Phone

There are very few times in my life where I wish I had a cell phone. This, tragically, is one of those times. Or rather, I wish my spouse had a cell phone. But then really both of us need a cell phone and the cost just seems a waste and oy!

Here I sit. The last person to leave the office. It has been 90 minutes since I last spoke with Mr. Rose. He was leaving work an hour early to come pick me up so that I wouldn't have to fight the inevitable horror that is our public transit system on a snowy day.

Can I be honest with you here? The roads don't even look that bad to me. I mean, yeah, it's snowing. But it snows here all the time. We're used to things being a bit slippy. We should be competent winter drivers. It's not like there's heavily falling snow right at this exact moment.

Earlier in the day the media told us to BEWARE!!! Winter storm conditions. HUGE blizzard, etc. Let's put aside the fact that 10 - 15 centimeters is really not that bad. 6 inches will what? Cover my ankles? Damped the hem on my jeans? But let's even assume that 15 centimeters of snow in our arctic desert is even an issue. Let's just assume.

I'm looking down now and I'm seeing maybe an inch on the ground. Plus some small, blowing flakes?

So is there really a panic? Or were we just told there was reason for panic so often that we created a panic.

I do wish I had that cellphone though. Guess I should have listened to all those ads telling me that it was what I needed in my life.

No comments: