Sunday, February 08, 2009

Emma/Clueless

I finished reading Emma today so I decided to watch Clueless afterwards. And, now that I'm about to blog about them I am also about to be able to tick off 6 things on my 101 list! A weekly blog entry, a book review, a movie review, a book read from my to-read shelf, and tossing an old VHS tape.

So, Clueless. Clueless is actually one of the very first movies I ever owned. I have it watched it so many times that the tape is a bit wobbly in some places. I think the reason I love Clueless so much is that it's based (loosely) on a Jane Austen book. Overall, I would say it does a fair job of taking a story written almost 200 hundred years ago and making it accessible today. Plus, it has Paul Rudd in it. Paul Rudd is the type of man who was born to be in romantic comedies. That slightly awkward, rumpled look is pulled off perfectly. You just want to kiss/mother him.

Clueless is also a great example of a trashy rom-com that executes perfectly. It knows what it is, it strives for no more than that, and hits exactly the right note.

As for Emma, I read in some commentary in the back of my edition that labelled Emma as Austen's most polished work. A comment, I will admit that I totally didn't understand. Of her three works that I am most familiar (i.e. have read recently or several times): Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, I must admit that I can discern no difference in the level of 'polish'. One of the reasons that I love Jane Austen is because she, like the perfect rom-com, knows exactly what she is writing and who she is writing for. She does not try to stretch beyond that and manages to execute pitch-perfect, age-appropriate romantic comedies. Reading Jane Austen, for me, is as comforting as a snugly blanket on a cold winter day.

7 comments:

Meg said...

I love a rom-com with a makeover sequence.

I love it when obstacles are overcome through cosmetics, wardrobe changes and weight loss.

Deb said...

I took a Jane Austen English course in University that was quite unfortunate. The instructor tried to make it out that the novels had far more meaning and subtext. Quite unfortunate. Never should have taken the course.

Breanne said...

You changed the name of your blog! I always find it through Megan's - and then you weren't there!!! What's with that????

Lady Rose said...

I hate it when people try to make Jane Austen out as more than she is. I mean, I'm happy just enjoying her exactly the way she is!

Lady Rose said...

Oh and for Breanne - uh, I can't decide on a good blog title so I keep changing it every few months. So sorry to inconvenience one of my 5 loyal readers! :)

Meg said...

Holy comments batman.

日月神教-向左使 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,性愛