Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring/Winter

Yesterday morning it was spring. I sat out on my deck in the sun and read a book. It was getting chilly in the late afternoon but I still barbequed my dinner. (I lit the bbq all by myself with no qualms, after a lesson the day before, so I have crossed one more thing off my 101 list!)

This morning there are drifts of ankle deep snow on the ground. It started last night, falling thick and heavy. It seems relentless. This is serious middle of the winter apocalyptic snow storm here.

My point you ask?

I freaking love it. I was born in Calgary so I often get the pity look from people (usually people who have moved here from out East or people who are planning on moving out west). Oh woe is me, they think. To have been born and lived the majority of my life is such a wintery, dreary, lame city as Calgary. Snow in March? Snow in May? How can I have lived like this my whole life?

I admit, sometimes I wonder out loud what it would be like to live in a more temperate climate. To be able to bbq year round or have more regular sunlight hours.

But deep down, I know I would hate it. I like the bbq because I've been away from it for 5 months. I think you should only eat mandarin oranges at Christmas time. I will take two months of darkness falling at 5:00pm in exchange for those two months where it's light out until 10:00pm.

I like change. I live on change. Change for me is like Bella's scent for Edward (nice Twilight reference, right?).

I have to go shovel my walk now. And then I think a steaming cup of hot chocolate will follow that. Then a warm blanket and a trashy novel. Oh woe is me.

1 comment:

Sterling Lynch said...

I miss Calgary summers. They are almost perfect.

Also Calgary winters are more bearable because no matter how could it gets, within a week or two it will be plus 15. Out east the cold can settle in for weeks and never really snap properly for months. And the humidity! Ugh.

I probably enjoyed winter this year more than any other since I was a kid. Probably helped that I was unemployed, don't drive, went to Grenada, and never need to shovel snow! :)