Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Careers - not just a board game

BAH! Work!!

When I was young and bright eyed and fresh out of university I couldn't wait to START MY CAREER! It took me 9 months to find my first job. And by 'first job' I mean I did data entry for 6 months because we were rapidly running out of money to buy crazy things like food with.

I should have realized that this initial disappointment in the world of CAREERS was not temporary but a sign of things to come.

I have come to the realization that working sucks. It sucks to be at the whims of everyone else's timelines. It sucks to have even your nice coworkers snark at you because they're having a bad day. It sucks having to not be able to do what you want, when you want to.

You have to do all sorts of things that you're not interested in doing to be a 'team player'. You have to show up at the same time every day (baby misses her class-free Fridays). You have to wear pants, like, all the time.

I think I'm going to join Megan's vegan commune. I assume they'll have internet. And pants will be optional.

5 comments:

Meg said...

Oh my god! Just last night, I was telling Gary that I thought I could get away with going pants-less at work because I never get up from my desk anyway! He disagreed. No vegan commune for him.

(Yes to internet, no pants required)

Sterling Lynch said...

Start your own pants-free business! :)

Wayne C. said...

Excellent post. I'm having similar thoughts at the moment too. The most shocking of which is apparently high school was a fairly accurate cross section of the culture at large. During my "career", well current contract really, it has become obvious that high school never ends.

Lady Rose said...

Thanks Wayne. I have the same thoughts but more about university than high school. I retreated into a bubble in high school as much as possible.

But in university I remember our profs telling us to suck it up when our group members slacked off or did a generally piss-poor job of their project components.

I was sure that 'real life' would be different. Surely incompetant boobs wouldn't manage to hold down jobs and therefore I wouldn't have to interact with them.

Oh how very, very, very wrong I was.

Meg said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give for the ability to avoid working with incompetent boobs for the rest of my days.

But I wonder if that wouldn't make me just a little bit less productive? As in, that's the example of what not to do. Now go and be better!