Monday, May 25, 2009

One of Those Days

You know when you have those days where everything clicks and life is like a tampon commercial? You know, you're spinning around in a green meadow or climbing a mountain, but most of all you feel that you have achieved something, lived life, made your mark on the world!

Today is not one of those days.

No, friends. Today is a day when I realize that it is 15 long days until I am on vacation. And that vacation is only 7 days long. And after that very brief interlude I will be back in this same exact place.

I have too much to do. That is what it boils down to. And I'm at the point where I have so much to do I have trouble getting anything done (hello mid-day blog post!).

I always wonder what it is that pushes people over the edge. Right now I am seriously considering just burying myself under my blankets and trying to nap my problem away. So much time has already been wasted, how can I possibly recover from this? Best not to try, perhaps after waking up from said nap I will be superhumanly productive and will magically get 7 hours of work done in only 2 hours!

I won't do that of course. I'm much too responsible. But lots of people do do that. Just crawl into bed and refuse to get up again. So what is it that allows them to snap like that? Do you think there's some advance warning that goes off?

Excuse me while I go make myself some lists. Lists make everything more manageable don't they?

barefoot and pregnant never looked so good...

10 comments:

Sterling Lynch said...

Crappy. Sorry to hear your are so busy. But glad for the blog post. Hey! it just occurred to me that the vacation you mention is to Ottawa. Hurrah!

Meg said...

I've wondered the same. What exactly has to happen to cause someone to just go to bed and never get up again? Like the crazy mothers in all those Victorian romances I've read.

I wish it was appropriate to faint these days. I think a good fainting spell could get a girl (or a guy, I don't discriminate) out of a lot of life-related predicaments.

Wayne C. said...

I actually find little naps make me way more productive. I used to take them in the middle of writing essays. I am sorry you're having a bad day. Though, on the positive side, by the time you read this it will be an entirely new day. I hope this one is like a tampon commercial :)

If you're in Ottawa it would be cool to meet up with you and Sterling for an organic beer. Keep me posted.

Meg said...

And you know, if aiming for a tampon commercial life is too much, you could shoot for a yeast infection cream commercial. Those Vagisil ladies are livin' the life. All flowery dresses and puppy dogs and romantic walks in the park.

Plus, if what I'm getting from advertisers is that Healthy, Happy, PH-Balanced Vajayjay = Fulfilling and Awesome Life, why the hesitation to go down south, if you will, re: your last post?

Lady Rose said...

Tragically my naps are much too violent to increase my productivity. When I sleep, I sleep HARD.

The positive side of my busy-ness (which I remind myself of daily) is that I am at least busy doing something I like.

So even though I'm not living in a tampon commercial at least I'm not living in an Advil commercial (those random office workers seem to suffer from a lot of crippling migraines).

And, to conclude, is the organic beer a requirement. Because I'm from Alberta and thus naturally suspicious of anything 'organic' or 'hippie-dippie' as we call it.

Wayne C. said...

No requirement but if you feel like experimenting in this wild, left wing, cosmopolitan, metropolis, I know a few places. Either way it will be groovy.
(tongue firmly in cheek regarding the description of this Government town)

Paper Bag Princess said...

Occasionally I feel the need for a little snap. I just announce to husband that I am 'taking to my bed' and I stay there for the evening - cookies, watching tv and just-for-fun putering. It helps!!

I can't remember the last tampon commercial day I've had either. My days are more like a Mentos commercial - the whole day things go comically awry, but with some kind of dorky resolution at the end...

hooooohummmmmm, am working on the most boooring and tedious (and time-sensitive!) project ever. Have listed to the same song on my ipod, like 10 times...

Paper Bag Princess said...

I really am working, I promise...

But oh yeah, Meg! Those Victorian ladies and their 'hysteria.' I think oldie times hysteria = driven half crazy by patriarchal restraint and general Victorian stuffiness.

I shite you not, I once read a Cosmo article that was advocating the return of fainting as a means of getting men's attention at work. Yeah, I don't read Cosmo anymore.

Meg said...

Fainting! At work! To get a man's attention?

Right now, off the top of my head, I can think of at least 3 better reasons to faint at work:

1. To get out of a ridiculously boring meeting
2. To get out of a mandatory, on-personal-time Team Building Exercise
3. To get out of a conversation with a close-talker of a coworker

Sterling Lynch said...

Coincidently, I stumbled across this on Twitter:

RT @Radiobam: @MarkBorkowski my ex gfriend asked Martine McCutcheon to faint when an event to launch an online mag in 2000 was flopping ...