Friday, July 10, 2009

p.s.

Alone in my office, eating some beef on a bun and, honestly, feeling a little maudlin this sunny Friday afternoon.

If I didn’t feel committed to an awkward social outing this evening I would definitely be settling in with a guaranteed to make you cry chick flick. I find that one of the best remedies, for me, for medium level blueness is to have a good, solid cry.

I don’t mean a squeeze out a few manly tears at your favorite aunt’s funeral cry, I mean a solid cry that starts right from the bottom of your toes. No need to go overboard and get too snotty with it but wailing is definitely encouraged. But not so loud that your neighbours think your husband is beating you. Because I imagine that would be awkward.

With a deep blue I don’t need any prompting, the tears just come. But the medium level blueness generally requires a bit of a prompt. It’s not really blue enough to warrant tears, I just find tears an effective way of clearing it out of my system.

I’ve had a few go-to’s in years gone by. The song River as sung by Joni Mitchell can usually do it, Little Women (the Winona Ryder version) always gets me at the scene where Beth dies, and the scene in Return of the King where they bow to the Hobbits (though that’s a mighty commitment to make just to start a good cry).

My latest discovery is the movie P.S. I Love You. The first time I saw this movie I was expecting it to be overwrought with emotion and just so obvious in its attempts to pull my heartstrings. I mean, it’s a movie about a guy who dies young and sends his wife a series of letters and gifts posthumously that ultimately guide her through the grieving process.

I’m sure this movie is just as manipulative as many others in its genre. But for some reason P.S. I Love You works like magic for me. Maybe it’s the hot, shirtlessness of the singing, Irish husband or the equally hot shirtlessness of the other singing, Irish dude she hooks up with, but it just does it for me. I cry, I wail, I mope and then once it’s over I feel better.

Life just keeps going on and on and on and in my experience, everything somehow works out in the end.

p.s. I love you.

6 comments:

Meg said...

The book was even better. My copy was soggy from the tears.

Sterling Lynch said...

Good crying = good health!

Kathleen said...

That's weird, that's exactly what I do. I find most episodes of Grey's Anatomy work well (lot of bad relationships and people dying young). That does explain your mood that evening; I thought it was the "subject matter" of the occasion.

The night was a little awkward... Especially that part where I had to bite my tongue to keep from verbally eviscerating that guy that said if you eat "absorbent food" you can be really drunk and still not blow over because the food absorbs the alcohol vapors so they don't come out from your stomach. It's a good thing he's pretty...

Sorry for the awkward segue, as soon as I read mention of that night I needed to rant. Meh.

Lady Rose said...

Well, admitedly the subject matter of the evening was probably some of what was getting me down.

Also I had started the long hike up Lady Mountain which is one of the only reasons I would ever be blue on a sunny Friday afternoon.

omg! tmi!

Meg said...

frig, I hate Lady Mountain. Ruining vacations since 1997. Or so.

Kathleen said...

Hahahahahahahaha... Lady Mountain. Brilliant.