Saturday, August 15, 2009

Edmonton Fringe: Day 1

Calgary to Edmonton. Easily the most boring and ugliest stretch of highway I have ever driven. With no Meatloaf to kick off our road trip I feel an emptiness inside of me. 5 minutes of car dancing to Madonna ultimately soothes my spirit. Edmonton Fringe, we have been too long apart.

Tickets secured we head off to our first show, Reflections on Giving Birth to a Squid. A low energy beginning to our fringe, this show is just not my cup of tea. Too many characters and too little action leave me feeling napish. 2.5 stars.

After a Diet Coke pit stop we head in for G-Men. I want to laugh and I am not disappointed. I haven’t seen Sterling in a show for 9 years (or thereabout) and it was great to see him on stage again. I always thought he was a talented artist. I give the show 3.5 stars. They lost .5 of a star when they involved me in an audience participation bit. shudder.

A quick zip over to our next show, Teaching Shakespeare. We scored a coveted plastic lawn chair in this venue that features benches on the stage as seating (just as awful as audience participation. shudder.). An hour of nerdtacular iambic pentameter jokes left me surprisingly satisfied. 3 stars.

Dinner break leaves me with a satisfied belly full of taco and mini donuts. A tweed purse caught my eye at one of the many handicraft stands. I was lured in with their one-of-a-kind patter but I shall not blow my clothing budget without checking out all the purses available to me at this fringe.

Gordon’s Big Bald Head have never let me down. This year’s Grand Theft Improv was exactly as good as I thought it would be. These guys are masters of long form improv and I was laughing hard from start to finish. 4.5 stars and we’re trying to rearrange our schedule so that we can go see it again.

The downside of seeing two long form improv shows back to back? It’s hard to live up to the standard that Gordon’s Big Bald Head sets. SCRATCH had several laugh out loud moments but ultimately I was thinking about a shower and hotel bed by the mid-point. 3 stars.

15 (ish) more shows and 1 mall visit still to come. But it’s safe to say that I’m already having a fringing good time.

4 comments:

Sterling Lynch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sterling Lynch said...

Woot! I could hear you guys giggling throughout. It was good to have you there.

p.s. there was an intolerable spelling mistake in the comment I deleted.

Lady Rose said...

I just noticed the Word auto-corrected the word improv to improve. That's what I gets for blogging at the end of a very long day.

I here what you're saying Sterling. I've done the same thing myself.

Meg said...

I do so hate audience participation. That's the only downside to Fringe...you never know when you're going to get pulled in.

I suppose for some people that's the whole appeal, though. Weirdos.