Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Fringing Good Time

It's just a theatre festival kind of summer for me. Magnetic North in Ottawa, Fringe in Montreal, Fringe in Calgary and next weekend, Fringe in Edmonton.

Unless Edmonton really lets me down, the tragic truth is that my most disappointing festival will have been the one in my very own hometown.

I feel like the Calgary Fringe has been struggling to gain traction for about 10 years and while it's made leaps and bounds in the last two years it still feels like a small-town fringe. But without the charm of actually being in a small town. Everything feels low rent, low budget, and to be honest, low effort.

I mean, seriously, opening and closing the door to the venue to execute the 'light' cues? Said cues being turning the overhead fluorescents on or off. Is that really, really the best we can do Calgary?

I mean, c'mon. I'm starting to get Edmonton envy over here. And that is just not right.

Closing Note: If you live in Calgary, go see Drunken Fucker at said Fringe. But only go if you're willing to cry a little bit. And if you don't cry, your heart is probably made of stone. In which case you might go just to enjoy the balls. If you're into that sort of thing. Balls, I mean.

No comments: