Thursday, August 06, 2009

iTunes Revelations

When I find a song I like I am prone to listening to it over and over and over (much to Mr. Rose's chagrin). My most recent discovery is Lady GaGa whose perky tunes about getting drunk and having rough sex have been cheering me during this odd spate of gloomy weather we've been having.

So I realized that I have spent (according to iTunes) 60 minutes of my life funking out to Just Dance. With some hesitation I sorted my library by play count and I must admit that I was a bit horrified to discover what my most listened to songs are. Here are my top 10 songs in iTunes:
  1. Release - Timbaland
  2. The Way You Are - Timbaland
  3. Circus - Britney Spears
  4. Crash the Party - OK GO
  5. Hip Hop Thighs - Ike Reilly
  6. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! - ABBA
  7. Womanizer - Britney Spears
  8. Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
  9. A Million Ways - OK GO
  10. Still Rock and Roll To Me - Billy Joel

When people ask me what kind of music I like I always have trouble answering the question. I'm not embarrassed that I lean towards top 40. I like music that is easy and pop-y. I also like more complex pieces and have been known, on several occasions, to groove out to Chopin.

But two Britney songs in my top 10? Timbaland?

Truly peeps, this is not my finest moment. I can only hope that someone else out there shares an equally embarrassing top 10.

5 comments:

Meg said...

Mmm.

1. Colours - Amos Lee
2. Magic- Ben Folds
3. St Patrick's Day - John Mayer
4. It's been awhile (since I was your man) - Matt Good
5. Jane - BNL
6. Smoke Baby - Hawksley Workman
7. Lover Lay Down - Dave Matthews Band
8. One Great City! (I Hate Winnipeg) - The Weakerthans
9. Good- Better than Ezra
10. Criminal - Fiona Apple

What does this tell me? I have listened to the saddest sack mopey breakup/love-lorn songs over and over and over again. Over 200 times each, actually. That is depressing- but apparently, depressing is what I like.

Also, I apparently refuse to listen to music released in the past 5 years.

Lady Buttons said...

I will confess my own dirty secret, that I pop over to YouTube to play songs I don't own with shocking frequency -- including The Black Eyed Peas, Lily Allen, and Lady Gaga. Oh, my seeeeecret shame shame shame!

Sterling Lynch said...

The first step to solving a problem is recognizing it. :)

I only listen to itunes radio now.

Lady Rose said...

I do listen to iTunes radio quite a bit. It must be admitted that my list is a bit skewed because all those songs are on my 'workout' mix. I like to thump and shiggy whilst working out.

While it must be admitted that I don't 'workout' very often, I also often listen to that playlist while cleaning. Since I also enjoy a good thump and shiggy whilst scrubbing tubs.

post-fab princess said...

Eeeps, I just had a look at the 'Most Played' playlist on my ipod. Here is my top 10, on my ipod anyway:

1. Flashdance II (Mathew Good Band) one of my fave songs!!
2. Flightless Bird, American Mouth (Iron and Wine)
3. Chocolate (Snow Patrol)
4. Poker Face (Lady Gaga)
5. Run (Snow Patrol)
6. Halo (Beyonce)
7. Worn Me Down (Rachel Yamagata)
8. Light On (David Cook)
9. Sex on Fire (Kings of Leon)
10. Dreams are more Precious (gah! Enya)

LOL, I am not very 'cool' with music - its just too much work. I get all my songs either because I heard it on TV or in a movie, or it is in the Top 40 or 'Recommended for me' by iTunes!

Meg - I like all of your songs - we have the same 5 year old music afflictions.