Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas: scary religious holiday?

Allow me to preface this by saying that I don’t prescribe to a set of religious beliefs. Organized religion in general makes me a bit queasy as I find humans in large groups rarely act in an ethical manner.

My family isn’t religious at all. And yet, at midnight on Christmas Eve the youngest member of the family present puts Jesus in his place in the nativity scene and we sing a heartwarming a cappella version of Away in a Manger or Silent Night (just depending on where our groove is at that year). After we all hug every other person and wish them a Merry Christmas.

This is one of my fondest Christmas memories and the only time during the season when a whiff of Christianity enters our celebrations. So, if you take that out, are we really celebrating the birth of Christ or are we celebrating a Canadian holiday that involves turkey, booze and family gatherings?

Just because something is a religious holiday does that mean that the only way to celebrate it is to subscribe to it’s doctrine? I mean, wasn’t Christmas originally placed where it was to make it easier for the pagans to switch over to being Christian? (C’mon guys, our celebrations are at the same time…why not make a change this holiday season?) And I thought that people don’t even think that Jesus was born in December.

I have been told that I can’t have the Christmas without the Christ. Bully to that I say. Can’t Christmas just be an end of year celebration? Or just a cultural celebration? Who cares if we stole it from the Christians? I mean, they stole it from someone else in the first place.

Christmas: the non-denominational holiday. Gingerbread men and women a must, angel shaped sugar cookies optional. Either that or I guess I have to start celebrating Festivus. And I don’t think I’m up for the feats of strength.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I like your Christmas tradition, it's cute. Christmas isn't a religious holiday for me.

It's a holiday like Thanksgiving, but with presents. It's about family, about giving and appreciating love and friendship. It's about celebrating what we've been blessed with, be it by God, gods, white fuzzy light, whatever.

But really, it's about family, friends, and food.

*sob*