Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Puzzle

I'm just hanging out listening to a little Beyonce, you know getting into the Christmas spirit? I'm already fully in vacation mode. I should be showering and prepping to look festive for tonight's celebration. Instead I'm still in my bathrobe, aimlessly surfing the interwebs. I just spent the last half hour reading posts about spending the holidays with your own family vs. the in-laws.

And what is the conclusion I have come to? I am a selfish girl and Santa should not be so good to me this year. Mr. Rose and I have been married for 7 years now and we have only spent 1 Christmas entirely with his family (and that was the year they paid for us to go somewhere tropical!).

His family used to split their time evenly between here and Victoria. In these past 7 years they have only gone to Victoria once. We actually went that year but we flew on Christmas Day so that I wouldn't have to miss Christmas morning with my family. There is something unspoken there and they seem to just sense that I won't choose to be without my family.

Admittedly, Mr. Rose is not exactly brimming with opinions about what we should and where we should go. He's a go with the flow kind of guy who is generally happy for me to steam along making all of our decisions.

Sometimes this bothers me but I realize now that at Christmas I just let it happen so that things work out for my benefit. This was actually the first year they directly asked us to with them for Christmas. There are actually good reasons on both sides for why we should have gone or why we should stay here.

Ultimately I won and here we are. I thought it was because my reasons were better but now that I'm ruminating on it, I wonder if I wasn't just being entirely selfish.

But I can only be so funked out about it. It is Christmas Eve after all! :) I've got to get showered and styled and then there's a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and a glass of nog calling my name.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: