Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Ruminations on Winter Driving

Oh no, I have slipped into my poor blogging habits of yore. I sense one of those resolutions coming on. And now, on to more important things...my musings on winter driving.
  1. Seriously Calgarians, you are surprised by this fluffy white stuff falling from the sky? I don't see how it's possible since much of it has been laying on the ground for many weeks now. And yet, the way you drive it is as if you are experiencing snow for the very first time.
  2. Here's a quick lesson for you: hot things are hot, cold things are cold, and ice is slippery. I thought that was basic knowledge gained by the age of 2 but once again I appear to have overestimated the intellectual capacity of the vast majority of humans.
  3. Snow tires. I suggest you look into them. Yes, I realize they are expensive but, frankly, driving a car is expensive. If you drive a small, light, Japanese made human mover, just do it. Trust me, it makes a world of difference.
  4. If you can't do it, don't. Look, I know that public transit is a real pain the ass at the best of times but if you are not capable of handling your vehicle after a light dusting of festive powder, just don't. Don't drive if you can't handle winter roads.
  5. "The person in front of me stopped so quickly, what was I supposed to do?" is not an excuse for rear ending someone. Sometimes a quick stop is required. Again, I thought safe following distance was a pretty straight forward concept. Apparently not so much.

In the end, I made it home accident free. But I was reminded why I avoid winter driving like the plague. I am not the best winter driver but I can certainly handle myself safely on the roads. Unlike what appeared to be 50% of my fellow drivers here in Calgary where winter driving conditions can be the norm for up to 4 months a year.