Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Awkward Moments

In the last few weeks I've had to deal with a multitude of awkward moments. One of the downsides to a late miscarriage is just how many people know you are pregnant. I keep running into people I saw whilst pregnant and sharing the awkward moment when they don't know what to say and I desperately want to be talking about anything else. I had a pretty good song and dance routine down pat to receive sympathy, quickly redirect conversation and leave everyone chuckling instead of trying to sympathy face me.

Today I ran into something new I wasn't quite prepared to deal with. I was at an event and a couple of people were there who I hadn't seen in about 6 weeks. Now, 6 weeks ago I was visibly pregnant AND had conversations with those people about my due date in August.

Today, both of them separately, made comments about how excited I must be about my due date in August and upcoming mommy-hood.

Peeps, I might be a chubby lady but I don't look pregnant!! The pregnant belly has totally gone away and I've shed about half of the weight I had put on. Seriously, do I look 6 months pregnant (uh, Megan this is your cue to jump in and reassure me)???

On the one hand it does provide some additional motivation to put in some extra hours on the elliptical machine.

On the other hand...ohmigod that was awkward and awful. This is totally going on my list of low points in my life.

I need ice cream.

*pout*

2 comments:

Meg said...

Hi there.

I'm not jumping in because you asked me to, but simply to state from the unbiased, outside perspective that six weeks ago you were quite visibly pregnant, and no, you don't look pregnant now.

I'm sorry about the sympathy face. Big, manly, non-sympathy face related hugs to you.

Deb said...

It's amazing how little people actually look at each other. They thought they knew you were pregnant, and they didn't look beyond that.

A perfect stranger would never assume you are pregnant.